Try Out Guns - Advice Sought

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FraserP

Hi,
I'm looking for a shop that can provide a range of try-out guns. Any suggestions?

I'm still waiting for my certificate application to be processed, so i may still have a wait but I want to have a few ideas ready.  Clearly, it will be my first gun and what has become apparent is that access to different models on the same day, to make a comparative decision, can be difficult. Most shops have a few guns in stock but either have few try-outs or no facilities to use them.

It has been suggested that I can meet an owner at a club at the weekend but that will mean trying a single gun. While not ideal, this is the best option offered so far.

So, an ideal scenario for me would be:-

1) Shop with a range of try-out guns (Sub £2K Baretta or Browning)
2) Based on a shooting site
3) Open midweek 

I'm based in the north west but I am prepared to travel for the right facilties.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

+1 for Premier Guns.

But phone before you go.

i went on a Tuesday. The shop was open, but the ground was closed.  i can't confirm this is still the case, as they have changed their website and no longer have the opening hours shown.

Hi,

We're not exactly local to the North West (we're in Gloucestershire) but:
  • We've got a large range of guns to try, including sub £2K Berettas & Brownings - have a look at our site
  • We've got a shooting ground with over 24 stands that you can try guns out on
  • We're open Monday to Saturday 9am - 5pm
If you want any more info, have a chat with anyone in our gunshop.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Annwen

Thanks for the prompt responses.  Both appear to be able to provide the facilities I was looking for. I'm now spoilt for choice!

Doveridge is nearer at 60 miles, Ian Coley gunshop 135 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleys and Doveridge are good calls what about mid Wales sg see johnaton there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Depends exactly where you are in the 'North West', but West mids shooting ground, Hodnet,  North Wales S.S. Sealand, Queensferry, Kelbrook Lodge, Colne, Lancs. Malmo Guns, Lancaster, (they have a small trap at rear of shop), plus all of the others already mentioned.

Where are you? Some shops while not in a ground will let you take or arrange to take guns to a ground for you to try, I did this with The gun shop rugby and barby sporting.

Add garlands, sportsman dorset (possibly Newport) and mid Wales to the list... Also most used guns can be tried so while there may not be a "demo" there may well be one you can try.

the ian coley open days are very good. went to the last one and tried 5 semi auto's . just take your cert and get a card for the clay mate . job done .must say everyone threre was super helpful. tried what I wanted when I wanted at my own pace with no pressure . superb.

jasper

sorry just noticed you are awaiting cert. however i'm sure someone at coleys would take you round.

Late in the day but,  does anyone know if Premier Guns at Doveridge are open Sundays and if they are, what times?

As far as I can see, their web site does ot give opening days/hours.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back