From bad to good

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom b

The bad

Since posting my thread about being interested in a kreighoff/perazzi and asking people's advice I had a touch of bad luck. I came down last Wednesday morning, started the truck to go to work and the exhaust was blowing, I climbed under the truck to discover that some little scrote had nicked my catalytic converter in the night.

So then and there the kreighoff idea came to an end. I am insured and went through my insurance for the repair but wish I hadn't after paying the excess and loosing work time it has cost as much if not more than just replacing it myself, so that was a lesson learnt.

The good

I've just got off the phone to a friend, his father has been an avid shooter for many years but it seems that age has taken its toll and his giving it up, now the gentleman has a perazzi mx8 that I believe he brought from new, I have seen the gun on a few occasions and liked it, the gun has had very little use.

It's a silver action with 30" barrels, top barrel 1/2 choke, bottom barrel m/c with a full set of perazzi chokes and a Monte Carlo style stock.

The gun is absolutely mint bar one thing, the finish on the barrels has gone a purple/maroon colour and is streaked, so what would have caused this? And what is the rough cost of a reblue?

Sorry to hear of your troubles - we should bring back hanging!

Not sure of the cause, but a more knowledgeable person will be along shortly, I'm sure.  

I had my barrels reblacked last year and cost around £150, IIRC.  Unless someone can recommend a blacker closer to you, UK Gun Repairs have one on their books.  Give them a call, 01823 650887.  Straight down the M5 near Wellington in Somerset.  At least they can give you a price.  ATB.

Somerset is not that far and I dont mind a bit of travelling for a good job. I must say its cheaper than I thought.

I won't swear on the price, Tom, I paid for other stuff at the same time, but give them a call, see what he says.

price is correct 140-200 depending on who does it, bloke somewere in devon or was it somerset sposed to be one of the best, I had one done 5 yrs ago was 160

Tom B,

I might even own up to stealing your catalytic converter if it's stopped you buying a Kreighoff.

Here you go for Barrel blacking Paul Stephens.

Stevens and Johnson Gunsmith 07999 586829

Stevens and Johnson, forest house, newlands, Barnstaple, Devon EX32ONN

Tell him Salopian recommended him.

Tom, take it to Chris or Duncan down the road. They have access to a good gunsmith who does blacking for reasonable money and makes an excellent job. Or pm me and I'll put you in touch with him.

Latest posts

Back