DTL

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

OK before anyone grasses me up !!!!! I have taken up DTL again after an absence of about 17 years or so, it is NOT an easy game at all. Those technically easy looking targets that seemingly just drift out of the traphouse can be all too easily missed or second barreled due to complacency, sloppy gun mount, wrong stance or even the slightest sudden breath of wind. I previously shot DTL for about 12 or 13 years I guess, a great way to start trap shooting, but to master it in the way that the top guys have,must take a huge amount of concentration and nerves of steel and I take my hat off to those guys who can post a 100/300 on a regular basis!

That's what I keep saying....

It s a game of pure concentration. It is not easy to get 100/300 and if you can on a regular basis.....then you will have the concentration level required to excel at OT.

I'm currently getting registered for DTL - 2 x 100's so far & another 100 next Saturday will give me a classification ready for June.

I'm booked into Bywell for the DTL weekend in June. I don't have the time or feel ready to take on reg'd Sporting events yet. I never shot DTL at Comp when I shot many years ago, I had a few goes but only shot 25 each time as practise but could do 24 first barrels nearly every time. As you say consistency is the key & I have respect for those who do 100/300 or there abouts over & over again. I'm thoroughly enjoying shooting DTL & the focus/concentration factor that's required is good to learn, but Sporting Clays are where my heart is.

Good for you les.

Its a hard discipline in many ways

V8

bywel weekend is mecca for dtl always was however the Kriegof is now equally popular with much better prize money, a truly great event. If i had the choice of only one i would do the Kriegof particularly if your lower classes as the lucky numbers draw on Friday is both novel and a hoot. If you camp or caravan then its even better.

Bywel option requires water proofs if weather turns as no covers on any layout but still great shoot.

Good for you les.

Its a hard discipline in many ways

V8

bywel weekend is mecca for dtl always was however the Kriegof is now equally popular with much better prize money, a truly great event. If i had the choice of only one i would do the Kriegof particularly if your lower classes as the lucky numbers draw on Friday is both novel and a hoot. If you camp or caravan then its even better.

Bywel option requires water proofs if weather turns as no covers on any layout but still great shoot.
No flippin covers in this day and age???? Sounds like a third world shooting ground!  Where is Bywell, Bangladesh or what? :laugh:   Anyway I could only face one round of it......then I ran for something familiar on the OT layout!!! I had to leave the ground a bit early because a certain forum member tried to get me to shoot SPORTING.......with.......AN AUTO!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
V8

I have waterproofs at the ready !! I may shoot the Krieghoff next year, I would like to also shoot the British/European weekend DTl in July but will need the Friday off work - I'll see how the 1st big weekend goes then take it from there

Have you been to bywel before ?

Do you know were your staying, if you want some recommendation pm me i have stayed at a few places over the years.

Ps

don't repeat don't go into the gun room or if you do make sure you don't have your wallet with you :)

Les

my new safe post approach means that i must state that there is nothing wrong with auto or sporting and furthermore i find your post implying that there is both offensive and unnecessary.

Its good to be political correct i may keep it up.

Les

my new safe post approach means that i must state that there is nothing wrong with auto or sporting and furthermore i find your post implying that there is both offensive and unnecessary.

Its good to be political correct i may keep it up.
Oh yes of course, this is the NEW politically correct, non offensive ips! As for the forum member who attempted to get me to shoot sporting AND attempted to force a BLUE action AUTO into my hands, well I can confirm that he was made aware of feelings. I did not swear and nor did I use any hand signals that made use of one or two fingers pointed skywards. How on earth that forum member dares to own a nice DT10 and an nice MX8, as well as a BLUE auto is totally beyond me! He convinced me to shoot DTL, but that is as far as I will go, I refuse to go down any other path suggested by that forum member! And I don't care if he is a Dorset CPSA committee member, I will not be led any further astray by him and that is that!!! :laugh:   (big lauging thing to show no offence to Dorset CPSA committee, or any other party, no childern or animals were harmed in the making of this post, not even hedge monkeys!)

I really really thing you should have tried the single tube.....just so that you can confirm that you have a tincey wincey feeling that you are not a fan. :wink:

I hate them ...but I have shot them....so I feel it is appropriate to decide after that ....that I am not a fan....(until I am even more old and decreppied and need to have one to continue) :wink:I hope that the said MX8 is in a different cabinet ...?? (It won't like it if not....)

Have you been to bywel before ?

Do you know were your staying, if you want some recommendation pm me i have stayed at a few places over the years.

Ps

don't repeat don't go into the gun room or if you do make sure you don't have your wallet with you :)
I have the willpower to walk in & out of any gun room - I have just bought a new Browning GP Trap will will serve me as well as any P or K.

We're already booked into a B&B for Friday & Saturday - I was hoping to travel up on Saturday morning & shoot on a 15.00 squad but was told by the CPSA that the afternoon squads are all reserved for teams.

:crazy:  Secretly he was eyeing up said blue action auto for a round of compact i reckon. :hunter:
If I was to even hold that gun for a second, you would have that flippin camera out and be snapping away with it. Then there would be a post appearing entitled "Old White Gloves Shooting a BLUE auto", or something similar. You cannot be trusted with a camera, I suppose you are after the job of Dorset CPSA official photographer now? I noticed that a lot of people ran from the clubhouse or hid in corners when you walked in on Friday, now we know why!!! :laugh:

Les

I see you had to come clean before the video hit the public !!

Also noted you scurrying off early back to your coastal retreat to plug your intravenous back into that Carling pump !

Where would it all have gone if you had stayed for anoter round of DTL and the registered one we done at Brook bank Yesterday ?

Les

I see you had to come clean before the video hit the public !!

Also noted you scurrying off early back to your coastal retreat to plug your intravenous back into that Carling pump !

Where would it all have gone if you had stayed for anoter round of DTL and the registered one we done at Brook bank Yesterday ?
That's it another Dorset whistle blower!!!! I notice you were hiding behind me, out of camera shot! As for the Carling, well somebody has to make sure it's fit to drink, otherwise those grockles will start moaning about it. Just off for a shower now, I'm on quality control shift again at 17.00 hrs!!!!

I'm currently getting registered for DTL - 2 x 100's so far & another 100 next Saturday will give me a classification ready for June.
V8 - you don't need to shoot a third comp to get a qualification as you have already shot 200 in this classification period (you only need to 300 targets if you want a temp classification midway through a period) and the classification cut off are end of April anyway so you will get a classification on 30th May.

DT

OK before anyone grasses me up !!!!! I have taken up DTL again after an absence of about 17 years or so, it is NOT an easy game at all. Those technically easy looking targets that seemingly just drift out of the traphouse can be all too easily missed or second barreled due to complacency, sloppy gun mount, wrong stance or even the slightest sudden breath of wind. I previously shot DTL for about 12 or 13 years I guess, a great way to start trap shooting, but to master it in the way that the top guys have,must take a huge amount of concentration and nerves of steel and I take my hat off to those guys who can post a 100/300 on a regular basis!
Welcome Home

Just shot the Bisley Gun Club 200 weekend and it was won by Phil Morgan with a 198 - 592 , yesterday it was strong winds which at times made for shooting a rising teal target and today we had thunder, lightning raind and wind to contend with.

V8 - you don't need to shoot a third comp to get a qualification as you have already shot 200 in this classification period (you only need to 300 targets if you want a temp classification midway through a period) and the classification cut off are end of April anyway so you will get a classification on 30th May.

DT
Thanks for the info - I understood I had to shoot 300 for a classification !!

I'll shoot the 3rd 100 next weekend anyway as I need lots of practise . - I'll also be trying to get up to Beverly for 100 practise each Thursday after work until the DTL weekend at Bywell.

I must stop reading these bloody trap shooting posts. I have just spent the day at Bisley NCSC shooting DTL soaked to ethe bone in the wind and rain looking at bloody clays disappearing into the rain and mist, at one point I even thought " must get one of those high rib trap gun thingys". Never has the lure of wellies and looping battue seemed so strong you are all a bad influence... :p :rolleyes: :blink:

" thats when the fight started "

Back