Flying with BA

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.Hib

Hi just wondered if any one has flown with BA with there shotgun? I am going to Portugal in July and have rung the airline to inform them I will be bringing a sporting firearm and they have not charge me yet, and said I will have to pay for it on the day. They said they have put a request in with there security team for this and just turn up early for the flight. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks

I haven't flown with BA for a number of years. With the other airlines I've used payment has been made during the booking process on line.

BA does not take payment online.

You have to be there at least 2 hours before the flight.

You need shotgun cert plus EFP.....one for going out and the other for getting in Portugal.

You will have to complete a handling form at the check in (hope you get a check in desk who knows what they are doing).

If you get a thick one.....DO NOT....let them put the baggage tag around the handles or you will not be able to open case at customs. Take it with you and put on after customs. (Or if you get an arse...you will have to open the case and let them put it on one side of the handle only.)

Irritatingly....last time (may have changed now) but they do not take the money at the check in desk either....they send you off to a payment desk and you have to return with proof of payment before they finish with you. You are then accompanied the rest of the way through the exercise (customs then x-ray) by a specific person. You pay for out and in at one time (so keep the proof for the way back incase the gun check at Portuguese customs ask for it. I have seen the Italians charged again because they lost theirs).

At other end collect your suitcase and ask at the red/green channel where to collect you guns.

On way back from Portugal it is normally go to Police customs first and they seal your gun case with a numbered tag after checking ...then you go to BA and this time they can baggage tag your gun case....because it has been checked. You then get taken with it to a special load area (like for oversized baggage) where they take your gun case from you.

You never ever ever let it get put down the baggage chute with your suit case.

Hope that helps (it was description for Porto and some airports may alter slightly....just go with the flow. You can ask when you arrive at the other side....and get your guns....what the return procedure is....just to be on the safe side).

The easiest airline to fly guns is Easy Jet....by far.

Last edited:
Thank you Nicola this puts my mind at ease.. I never flown with my shotgun before and I have never fly BA either just got a good price due to hotline tickets..

What Nic said - exactly the same for my trip to Portugal.

I think that you will find that BA is at least £50.00 each way for the gun (sporting item) each way, some say that there is an excess bagage charge as well ?

I am flying TAP  25 Euros each way and no extras  already paid for in advance!

I think that you will find that BA is at least £50.00 each way for the gun (sporting item) each way, some say that there is an excess bagage charge as well ?

I am flying TAP  25 Euros each way and no extras  already paid for in advance!
The charge should only be £50 each way and no charge for baggage (I know some got ripped off for Dubai).

As for TAP (Take Another Plane)......I never touch them now...!! They have a habit of changing flight details without much notice....and don't give a stuff...!

I was rang the night before flying to say that although I was flying out from Gatwick....I would be flying back to Heathrow.....I said I would not be.....and after several exchanges....they moved me to another flight.

Our GB team used them.....to fly into Porto at lunch time ...to start competition that day.......They changed it at the airport to fly them to Lisbon (3 hours away ...with 4hire cars at Porto). They only just made it......including a car crash on the way where one of the cars was written off.

Nope.....never touch TAP .....I don't :wink:

Easy Jet for me every time if in Europe. Easiest to use.

The other thing with TAP in Portugal was that they wanted to include you Shotgun Case/Shotgun weight within your overall checked weight of 20Kg. Some fellow shooters were charged between 80 and 130 Euros excess change, even though they had prepaid.

I think that you will find that all airlines want you to include your shotgun and case in your checked in baggage unless you pay for an extra case (2)

My old Duchess is carring a large suitcase as checked in baggage (with both of our clothes in) and I am carrying my shotgun/case as checked in baggage

we will both be carrying on hand baggege as well. SIMPLE! 

I think that you will find that all airlines want you to include your shotgun and case in your checked in baggage unless you pay for an extra case (2)

My old Duchess is carring a large suitcase as checked in baggage (with both of our clothes in) and I am carrying my shotgun/case as checked in baggage

Nope... with Easy Jet you get 20Kgs extra for your gun and cartridges. Cartridges can only be 5 kgs max.

Goodness me ....do people not read the rules :wink:

I think you'll find that you'll have to pay extra. Your gun won't count as 'normal' checked luggage, if that's what you are saying.

I think you'll find that you'll have to pay extra. Your gun won't count as 'normal' checked luggage, if that's what you are saying.
I have flown BA loads of times and never paid for extra luggage for the gun. You should just pay the £50 each leg. And that includes flying long distance to Argentina and the likes.......but I prefer Easy Jet for simplicity....they know how to deal with it and you book and pay for the gun online.

I would of preferred easy jet I always use them when going on holiday to Europe but the pain is they don't fly from heathrow do they? And I am only 5 minutes from heathrow.. When I go from Luton or gatwick it never works out cheaper in the long run..

BA does not take payment online.

You have to be there at least 2 hours before the flight.

You need shotgun cert plus EFP.....one for going out and the other for getting in Portugal.

You will have to complete a handling form at the check in (hope you get a check in desk who knows what they are doing).

If you get a thick one.....DO NOT....let them put the baggage tag around the handles or you will not be able to open case at customs. Take it with you and put on after customs. (Or if you get an arse...you will have to open the case and let them put it on one side of the handle only.)

Irritatingly....last time (may have changed now) but they do not take the money at the check in desk either....they send you off to a payment desk and you have to return with proof of payment before they finish with you. You are then accompanied the rest of the way through the exercise (customs then x-ray) by a specific person. You pay for out and in at one time (so keep the proof for the way back incase the gun check at Portuguese customs ask for it. I have seen the Italians charged again because they lost theirs).

At other end collect your suitcase and ask at the red/green channel where to collect you guns.

On way back from Portugal it is normally go to Police customs first and they seal your gun case with a numbered tag after checking ...then you go to BA and this time they can baggage tag your gun case....because it has been checked. You then get taken with it to a special load area (like for oversized baggage) where they take your gun case from you.

You never ever ever let it get put down the baggage chute with your suit case.

Hope that helps (it was description for Porto and some airports may alter slightly....just go with the flow. You can ask when you arrive at the other side....and get your guns....what the return procedure is....just to be on the safe side).

The easiest airline to fly guns is Easy Jet....by far.
Excellent post. That should be stickied somewhere.

Latest posts

Back