1st Shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamfu

Hi All,

I am starting to look for my first shotgun and wanted some advise.........

Do I start cheap and upgrade as I improve or go balls out and get the gun that fits best??

Thanks

James

Hi James, Welcome to ShootClay    :hi:  Enjoy your visits     :thumbsu:

I am sure you will get a mixture of advice but from someone has only been shooting 18 months; I went for a new mid range gun (£1600) thinking that would be it; I have since changed for another better gun (£2500). Many people indicated that I would probably look to change my gun after the first year. The changes were based on : knowing more about guns in general, a more consistent gun mount, trying many guns after actually knowing what I was doing.  So if your budget can cope go for a reasonable gun that fits and be prepared to upgrade/change 12 months down the road.

What ever you end up doing, you are going to love your first gun. Do try as many as you can ahead of taking the initial plunge!

Good Luck

I haven't used this in a while - but an (almost) lighthearted view of how to get started:

1. [SIZE=11pt]Find a Club & get safe[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=11pt]Get an SGC and be legal[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=11pt]Find a Gun - budget £750[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=11pt]Get some lessons - budget £250[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=11pt]Put some lead in the air - budget £1000[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=11pt]Don't worry about chokes[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=11pt]Join the CPSA - optional, but useful[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=11pt]Shoot some registered shoots[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=11pt]Look the part - some merchandise from this shop will help : www.shootclay.co.uk/shop [/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=11pt]Enjoy - join a good forum (oh....wait, you already have...)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Seriously - don't spend too much, get in and enjoy it and upgrade later when you figure out what disciplines you really like and what kind of gun you really want. [/SIZE]

Hi James welcome.

There a lot of vastly experience shooters on this site who will set you right. I will chip in and say that you need a crystal ball to know what to do because if you buy a cheapish gun and really get in to it you will want another better gun and possibly lose some money on the fist gun. On the other hand if you spend a fair wad on the first gun and don't get into it you may well sell up and may be lose money there also. Its a tough call if I were you I would take the good advice given on the forum but even in saying that still try to buy say a second hand Beretta, Browning or Miroku as a first gun you will get a good one for not too much more than a cheap new gun and if you don't carry on there is always a buyer for this type of gun. Good luck!

Hi Jamfu 

Generally people rush out and buy the first gun that fits their budget and looks OK. So give yourself a pat on the back for not doing that :good:  

Can't disagree with what's been said - ie "Seriously - don't spend too much, get in and enjoy it and upgrade later when you figure out what disciplines you really like and what kind of gun you really want" 

The SP is a great pick, on the whole you can't go far wrong with a Beretta/Browning or Miroku. Just see if you can try them out first though.

I am assuming that you are going to shoot L/H even though you're R/Handed? Given the obvious eye dominance and the fact you're a beginner that would seem to me to be very sensible. Good luck!  

Thanks again!

Yes I am right handed yet have to shoot left handed, its never stopped me in the passed and represented Wales and the West of England many moons ago when in the Air Cadets!!

Problem is a limited number of LH second hand. I`m hoping I can have a play with the Silver Pigeon.

All good advice here - I started about a year ago, spent £1200ish on my first gun and I'm now looking to change it.

The reason I'm thinking about changing I wouldn't even have fathomed 6 months ago, so exactly as above - get something that shoots straight, shoot it as often and much as you can and have a few lessons.

Then you'll begin to understand what you like and don't like about your gun and take it from there.

The Silver Pigeon is an excellent first choice with good resales.

Don't be put off by left handed, pick up loads of guns - plenty of 'right handed' guns will shoot fine l/h, depending on the amount of cast.

enjoy!

P

Thanks for the advice!!

Seems a bit a mine field at the mo!!

After my first trip to the Gun shop I have become pretty smitten with a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporter Left Hand. Being partially sighted in my right eye I will be looking for a left hander!!
I bought a second hand beretta 686 e sporter with adj comb today from avalon guns in Somerset, gets delivered to my local tomorrow and will be shooting Saturday at Manchester clay club. You are more than welcome to come and have a go.

I'm sure you will find the help you need on the forum and welcome.

Thanks again!

Yes I am right handed yet have to shoot left handed, its never stopped me in the passed and represented Wales and the West of England many moons ago when in the Air Cadets!!

Problem is a limited number of LH second hand. I`m hoping I can have a play with the Silver Pigeon.
I'm guessing you shot rifles in the prone position when in the Air Cadets? Bit of a different proposition to shooting clays  :biggrin:

You're right about the scarcity of Left Handers, but I am Left handed and shoot a Right handed gun. To some extent, it depends on how far you want to go. If you're keen to compete at any kind of level, then stick with your plan. If however you're not too bothered, and just want to smash a few clays from time to time, you may find a lot of so called right handed guns are actually pretty well ambidextrous. You're welcome to come and shoot my Browning 525 if you want too. 

Having said that overall, your plan is the most sensible and as I and others have and will say, the SP is a really good pick. 

Hi and welcome. I bought my first gun a little over a month ago, after thoroughly testing 5 or 6 and shouldering a further dozen. I had budgeted 1500, was ambivalent on new or used, but ended up with a second hand Miroku that I managed to pick up for a little over 500. I picked that one because on first holding it and shouldering it, it felt more comfortable than any other I had tried. If I need to change it (real necessity or upgradeitis), my pocket shouldn't be too offended.
Per everyone else who has posted, tale your time, try as many as possible, and go for the one that feels it fits best.
Enjoy!

Typed wiv fums on my mobile

I bought a gun like the one I used in a lesson, although did go for 32" barrels rather than the 30" I used. I bought an MK38 gd1 from new. My only regret is that I didn't wait and get a gd5 secondhand one for a couple of hundred pounds more. It wouldn't make me shoot any better but they do look a bit nicer.. I've thought about trading it in for a gd5 but just think that it is money I could spend on shells and lessons so have decided to stick with the gd1.

I have promised myself an upgrade when I get to B class......

Whatever you buy I'm sure you will enjoy.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome along, enjoy!

If you are able to take someone along with you who knows about gunfit, then do it.  But be careful, a lot of people claim to know, but know squat and could screw the whole thing up for you!  Close enough will do at this stage, but get someone to check. 

If you stick with the usual suspects - Mirook, Beretta, Browning - you'll unlikely lose much money, if any, when you trade it in - and you WILL trade it in!  The bigger names will call you in your sleep!  You'll accrue more knowledge, see more pretty irons, try a few and fall in love.  Then you'll consider selling your children or your wife to get to the big K, or P!  (I recommend selling the wife first, because she'll complain about how much you're spending on shooting, that you're never home at weekends etc etc). 

Someone who lives nearer you will be along soon to recommend a good shop/coach/smith in your area to help you choose.  Good luck, and happy shooting! 

Be patient get some lessons from someone who knows left handedness I shoot left handed (natural righty), I have 2 left handed clay guns they are out there, I recomend the Gun Shop Rugby, the owner is left handed they seem to carry soem LH stock and have a shootign ground wher eyou can try before you buy Barby sporting, http://www.gunshoprugby.com/ http://www.barbysporting.com/Pages/default.aspx NOt too far away form you so may be worth a trip up for a lesson with Gordon IIRC.

Be warned (a cast on gun) can often command more to buy and less to sell so I say get a  gun that will serve you over time dont be in rush to "upgrade"

If your ever in South wales your welcome to try my Factory  cast on (left handed) 525 ;) to see how it compare to a righty or a my very straight but left hand plam swelled 3800

Last edited by a moderator:
Back