Shooting hand pain

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teepee1234

OK, so something odd has happened to my right hand (keep the jokes to yourselves please!).

I had 3 weeks off shooting - which is very unusual for me, then went and shot 200 or so at OLSS yesterday.  All was fine until yesterday evening, when I began to feel  some pain in my hand, and it's gotten worse overnight, to the point that I struggled to hold my tea mug this morning.  The back of my right (shooting) hand has swollen in the middle, as has my middle finger.  I can't make a fist, and certainly can't hold a gun.  My other fingers, including the trigger finger, seems fine, it just the middle finger and the back of the hand.

I was diagnosed with mild arthritis last year, and I occasionally feel a little sore in my hands, but it hasn't affected me to this extent before.

Any ideas, anyone?

OK, so something odd has happened to my right hand (keep the jokes to yourselves please!).

I had 3 weeks off shooting - which is very unusual for me, then went and shot 200 or so at OLSS yesterday.  All was fine until yesterday evening, when I began to feel  some pain in my hand, and it's gotten worse overnight, to the point that I struggled to hold my tea mug this morning.  The back of my right (shooting) hand has swollen in the middle, as has my middle finger.  I can't make a fist, and certainly can't hold a gun.  My other fingers, including the trigger finger, seems fine, it just the middle finger and the back of the hand.

I was diagnosed with mild arthritis last year, and I occasionally feel a little sore in my hands, but it hasn't affected me to this extent before.

Any ideas, anyone?
Arthritis in your handwrist?

I reckon it is either tendinopathy of the extensor tendon or a flare up of the arthritis.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor you. Nick will be along shortly with idea.

You might have flared your carpal tunnel. If you have a seed heat pack...get using it.....swap between ice....then heat...applied to the underside of the wrist.(which is ideal when watching TV as you put on arm of chair and place yours over it.) I am always a bit soft on the ice bit......I bin it after a bit....and stick with the heat. Every now and then try to make a fist (don't force it)...and see if it gets any easier to complete a fist.....over time.

Then wait for Nick to tell you what you really should be doing.

Ooops sorry posted at the same time...... Bye

Poor you. Nick will be along shortly with idea.

You might have flared your carpal tunnel. If you have a seed heat pack...get using it.....swap between ice....then heat...applied to the underside of the wrist.(which is ideal when watching TV as you put on arm of chair and place yours over it.) I am always a bit soft on the ice bit......I bin it after a bit....and stick with the heat. Every now and then try to make a fist (don't force it)...and see if it gets any easier to complete a fist.....over time.

Then wait for Nick to tell you what you really should be doing.
haha, I know what you mean re ice but it really is the best thing for the first 48 hrs or so... just have to grin a bare it unfortunately. I do agree with you after the first 48-72 hours that alternating with heat can help flush the swelling along though. Keep it moving is the key but regualr NSAIDs and paracetamol are good too....

Are you gripping the gun any harder

Is the new grip too thick compared to the old one?
Ah, didn't realise it's a newchanged gun. Could be that has caused a change in grip (gripping harder) but possibly underlying pathology flaring up.

Jem, I guess I'm holding it tight enough so that when I smash it against a tree, it won't hurt my wrist...

Ive had arthritis in my shoulders neck knees and ankles etc for years apart from learning to just live with it, I find  A level teaspoon of organic cider vinegar in a very weak drink of orange squadh every morning  helps quite a bit,along with a half teaspoon of organic bicarbonate of soda (gluten and aluminium free) dissolved a half glass of water.

The theory is, so I have been advised is they help to alkalise the system thus reducing acid levels which attack the joints, I can only say it works for me to the extent that I can still shoot on a regular basis relatively pain free.

I fully accept this may weel be a placebo effect but as I say it works for me. That and absolutely NOwhite wine or Rose ONLY RED if one must imbibe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think so Jezz.  And anyway, I don't see that would just affect my middle finger?

Nick's been very helpful on PM, so I'll be following his advice.  Needs to be OK for Thursday at OLSS!

Thanks CC, I'll look into that too.

Dicloflex 75mg is great for arthritis ......keeps me on the move. :wink:

Back